Our 2017 Squealin' on the Square Competition will take place
Friday, September 15 & Saturday, September 16, 2017
Let the Barbecue Battle Begin!
For more information, contact:
(919) 553-6352, ext. 2
2017 Official Rules and Regulations
1. All cooking spaces will be numbered and pre-assigned by the Squealin’ on the Square Director. No changes will be allowed.
2. An Event official will direct you to your site. Each team is required to be checked in no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 15, 2017.
3. Teams will be permitted to begin setting up their equipment any time after 3:00 p.m., September 15, 2017. Each cooking space will be limited to a 10 x 20 tent per pig; special provisions may be made prior to the event.
4. At 6:30 p.m. on September 15, 2017 there will be an introduction of Teams and Sponsors followed by the Chief Cook’s briefing. This will be held on the Town Square and attendance is mandatory.
5. Each cooking team shall have one person designated as Chief Cook. The Chief Cook shall be the only person permitted to present the pig during the judging process. Chief Cook must be at least 15 years old.
6. The event will provide a 100 -120 lb. Pig. Pigs will be distributed on Friday, September 15, 2017 immediately following the Chief Cook’s briefing and the contest will officially begin at that time.
7. All pigs must be cooked in an above ground cooker.
8. The USE OF GASOLINE FOR ANY REASON IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
9. Drip pans must be used to catch grease.
10. Each gas cooker must meet safety standards such as:
Tanks secured to prevent accidental tripping of contestants and the general public.
Other requirements as site committee deems necessary for the safety of contestants and general public.
11. Each Chief Cook is to have the following utensils on hand for judging:
Three sharp knives
Three cups of water
Towels (paper or cloth)
Small container of your sauce
12. Cooking teams are requested to keep their cooking area free of trash. Please use the trash containers provided at various locations. Each team is responsible for site cleanup at the end of the contest.
13. Any pig judged not done will be disqualified. Cooks are required to continue cooking until, in the opinion of the Judges, the pig is done.
14. Any pig will be disqualified if any part of the pig is removed or intentionally disturbed.
15. Pigs can NOT be sauced inside or out. Those pigs that have been sauced will be disqualified.
16. NO external heat source may be used other than the grill. Some examples might include but are not limited to heat guns and torches. Those using external heat sources will be disqualified.
17. Injecting pigs will NOT be allowed. Some examples might include but are not limited to sauce and product drip-pings. Those injecting pigs will be disqualified.
18. Beer and wine vendors will be operating from 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. at Town Square Friday night. Each team will receive 4 complimentary drink tickets. Alcoholic beverages are not to be distributed (given away or sold) to the general public by contestants. Law Enforcement Officers will be present.
19. All cooking teams are requested to respect the rights of others in attendance for the event, with special emphasis from each team member relating to loud music, loud or profane language or infringement on adjoining sites with any equipment, cookers, cars, campers ,vans, pickups, etc. Security will be provided throughout the event.
20. Gloves are not mandatory, but a basin of water and soap is mandatory for cleanliness purposes.
21. Judging will begin at 8:00 a.m., Saturday, September 16, 2017. During the judging process, any item that displays the logo or information concerning the identity of the cook team MUST BE REMOVED. During the On Site Judging, no trophies or pictures of trophies are allowed to be displayed.
22. An event staff person will be assigned to accompany the judges while the pigs are being judged. The staff person will collect score sheets. The score sheets will contain no information that will in any manner identify the cooks or sponsors. The Event staff, not the judges, will total and grand total the score sheets.
23. Following the On Site Judging all pigs shall be kept warm until picked up by the Event staff. Except for the ribs, this may be removed with permission of the staff.
24. In the event of a tie, an Event Staff will refer back to the judging sheets and the winner will be awarded by the high-est points in the meat taste category, if still a tie, then skin crispiness, then moisture.
25. The completed score sheets will be distributed to the Chief Cook of each team after the award ceremony.
26. Contest winners will be announced at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, September 16, 2017.
27. Each team will receive four complementary BBQ plate tickets.
28. All cookers and equipment must be removed NO LATER than 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 16, 2017.
Neither the Chamber, nor the Town of Clayton shall be responsible for any cookers or equipment left on the premises after 12:00 p.m.
Please note that this contest is a NC Pork Council sanctioned event.
The rules have been modified from the previous years so please read the rules carefully so that there are no misunderstandings.